Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Week 2: Mid-week check-in

I asked Coach Fedorenko during our phone call Sunday night whether the competition would have a clock or timer that I could look at during my set so that I could keep track of my pacing. He told me he didn't know, that it depends on the individuals setting up the competition. Which brings me back to my dancing days...

Often in dance class the dancers practice and learn choreography by following a teacher or director in a mirror that spans the length of the room. Then, I noticed, dancers are often thrown off when they are asked to perform the choreography without the mirror, like when we first dance on stage for a dress rehearsal. This reliance on something external is a real detriment, and best shed early, in my opinion. When I learned to rely on the feeling of the dance moving through my body, and when I practice my kettlebell lifts with out a timer or similar . . . crutch . . . then I automatically improve. The mirror and the timer represent just one more thing to think about, when all I really need to think about is right here, in my body and breath. 

What Coach VF told me, in a nutshell:
 Focus on how many reps you've done, and if you've practiced well enough with good, even pacing, then you'll know how much time has passed.

The workouts are getting tougher, but it really helps to have Coach VF helping me along. Not only for the customized, personalized workouts, but for the encouragement and mental training, too!

So here are my workouts so far this week. I was "supposed" to go all five days, but I allowed myself a rest day on Tuesday because I had to study for a final exam (the one exam that stood in the way between me and a joint law degree/master's of environmental law and policy--I better have studied hard!)

Monday:
Jerk two 24kg- 6 min. @ 5/6rpm, try to go to best. Got to 5 minutes @ 6rpm, then stopped; rested one minute, then lifted for one minute @ 8rpm. So I did 5 minutes @6rpm, then rested for 1 minute, the 8 additional reps. Total 38 reps.

Snatch 3min./3min. 2:30/2:30 @ 14rpm--total of 35L/35R.

Tuesday:
Rest (STUDY!!!!)

Wednesday after taking my exam!:
Jerk 20kg 6min@8rpm--45reps/5mins, rest 3 min VIDEO BELOW!!!
OAJ 24 kg 2min/2min max rpm--result: 30L/30R, rest 10 minutes
Snatch 20kg 6 min. 14/15rpm--52L/52R rest 2minutes
Swing 24kg 40L/40R

Today, Wednesday, was encouraging. I lifted more than usual, and it felt easier than ever. I think that's two big steps forward!

Here's the video of my Jerk set from tonight. It felt easier, more relaxed, elbows felt better connected to hips, grip was relaxed and comfortable, and breath came naturally. I know it won't always be this easy, so I'll enjoy it while I can :)

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment